Thursday, June 28, 2007

First day in delhi

Any journey to any place is an experience. For with it, it always brings an expectation. You expect a new place, out of the world, beautiful girls, historical monuments, tall facades, and what not.

I always carry a picture of the place I visit, in mind’s eye, of what I have seen and heard. And I had a picture of Delhi too, which I was visiting for official reasons. With soldiers marching under bright sun shine, pigeons flying around, India gate and Qatb Minar in background, the picture was complete in my mind.

I wish to share the experience I had there in Delhi through this piece of writing, which would let you know the expectations, thoughts, ecstasies, fantasies and disappointments of the 26 year old chap in his three days of stay there. So, If interested continue reading to see what the reality had in offer for him, as against his expectation.

My trip to Delhi , started with me, joining with ……………, at his residence. He was typical Bengali with wine in one hand, cigar in the other, still found some means to fry the fish. As soon as I entered he remarked “Would you like to have some wine”. Me had to nod off the request, cursing myself on why I haven’t got into this habit for social reasons yet, because one who doesn’t drink is still considered a strange species, strangely!

He was leading a typical bachelor’s life, with family packed off to their native. “A bachelor lives like a king and dies like a dog, whereas a married person lives like a dog and dies like a king”, is indeed true… And the dog (just for fun) was now living like a king, at least till his family comes off their summer vacation.

The fish was very tasty, I remarked and as I swallowed three pieces, we spoke a lot about fishes, with 90% of time, me listening to his statements about fishes. I wondered at the knowledge these Bengalis possess about fishes. It is very true that Bengali Brahmins serve fishes even to Gods. I got that confirmed from him.

We left his residence at around 6 pm and it was a planned one hour travel from his residence to airport. The flight was at 7. 30 pm. Traffic jams and poor skills of the auto driver compounded our problems and we reached the airport only at 7.15 pm. I scolded the driver very badly for his poor skills, little realizing then I could have started an half an hour earlier.

Had no time even to call my parents, boarded the flight in a hurry.

It was a Jet airways flight. I would be lying if I say that I did not expect a Kingfisher. Not just for the pleasure of it, but for am great fan of Vijay Malya. His remark, a favourite of mine, after making some 160 crore loss in business, “Was expecting a 200 crore loss. Lucky that I have got 40 crores less loss”. See the way people see a problem. Approach is all that matters.

Was welcomed into the flight with the usual sound of “welcome sir” from Airhostesses, singing in chorus. This makes me totally uncomfortable, while beautiful girls call in chorus, me getting very conscious of my style and looks as I enter the flight, very much knowing nothing can change in the way I look.

I never had great regards for the job of airhostess or for them. But this time around, as I sat in peace, waiting for the take off, I had strange thoughts going rounds. These girls were explaining the safety procedures in flight and all passengers were busy doing their job. There were two kinds of passengers, one who know what they were telling and other who don’t know what they were telling yet pretending and don’t want to show that they don’t know. I belong to the second category. Shamefully admitting, that I too was acting as if I was a frequent flier, though I have traveled four times now. How bad we would feel, when you speak something, and the one whom you expect to listen doesn’t do that and busy going about his job? Horrible…I felt very sad for these girls but when I shared this with my colleague. “hey that’s why they are being paid Rs 40000/- per month equivalent to an engineers salary”

I had never felt comfortable traveling in a flight, with the continuous buzzing sound ringing in your ears, cramped seating, and artificial beauties surrounding you. As the flight was about to take off, remembered my child hood dreams, when I used to wait for the moment, numbering the days to go to airport to welcome my father, who was at that time working in Saudi Arabia. Not that I was so interested to see my loved father back, never knew why I never loved him till date, but to see the big aeroplanes & helicopters in close quarters.

My relationship with my father is little difficult to understand. I wish to share my emotions attached with it. For there is, a lesson or two for those, who are going to get married and have kids. It is very mandatory as a parent to be near your kid, when he is growing, which I missed very badly. Dr. Ravishankar, mentor of Art of living, used to say that “It is mandatory when a child is born, to hold them against the mother’s heart for the first few seconds, to make him/her comfortable to the new world. Heard noise always make us more comfortable, isn’t? Father should be near till he grows, for that natural affection and love to blossom. I still envy the relationship or the love between my father and my younger brother, but never made attempts to reconcile nor develop it. I respect my father for his attitude, for his skills, and never was able to find anything wrong in what he does. But still, I never loved him. We speak, we share, and still something is missing. I don’t know what it is.

As the flight took off, I peeped out through the window. It is indeed a glorious sight to see the lighted roads, moving vehicles, predominantly yellow spots in dark black sheet.
You feel so superior to see those tall huge buildings as tiny dots and you scale the entire city in your eyesight. Spare a thought for Wright brothers.

Next two hours was reading the book “Anne frank: Diary of young women”, and my office colleague was sleeping all through the journey. Felt so bad, that I did not have anybody to speak with, big problem when you travel with old people.
The flight landed at around 10 pm in Delhi . Me and my office colleague parted ways, as he was going to his sister’s place and me to my booked guest house.

Now, here I am in Delhi all alone. Do understand I don’t know Hindi, and am alone at night 10. 30, with preying taxi drivers around you, asking questions, for which you can hardly reply.

From as high as Rs 500/-, I struggled hard to bargain a taxi for Rs 300/-. With my butler hindi and English in perfect combination finally helping me in finding a taxi. Me on my way to Gauri Sadan, official guest house of TATA MOTORS LTD.

As usual, was speaking with the taxi driver. Got to know that his name was Munna. I told him very frankly in first few seconds of travel, “Hey Munna! Please understand I am yet to get married. I am the only son for my family, but for my brother. So please drive slowly” He was driving his Tata Indica through gaps, where I would fear to take even my motorbike. He was a driver with exceptional driving skills, may be with proper guidance and help, he could have become a Michael Schumacher of India . But unfortunately, nobody knows how many such Schumachers of India are still driving taxis.

I scolded an autodriver for his poor driving skills just three hours before and now god is making me realize my fault by showing the other extreme of it.

Fortunately, yes fortunately, I landed in my guest house safely.

The journey was thrilling, but more fear than thrill. Even in this fear, still I caught few glimpses of Delhi with my sleepy eyes and tired mind. The broadness of Delhi roads, and the way they maintain them, neat and clean. Heard of Singapore and Malaysia , but of what I have seen, I suppose these are the best roads available in India .

Entered the guest house. Had a warm welcome and was shown my room. It was a beautiful luxury room with two beds, yellow light gracefully glowing, and a fully air-conditioned room. I stood in front of the mirror, tried a few hair styles with my bare hands. Then washed my face, changed my clothing and slept hard. Nothing more I knew, nor thought that night. Very tired……. ( To be continued………..)


*************************************************

No comments: